Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Person of the Day: Edward Mooney Jr.

Mama gnome is proud to present the Person of the Day:

Edward Mooney Jr.



Mama gnome: Welcome to my little garden, Ed. I'm so happy you could visit today. Would you like to try a bit of this oatmeal cookie and morning elixir? Or perhaps some tea or hot chocolate?


EM: Hot chocolate sounds great, thanks. How did you find out that I love oatmeal cookies?
You know I hadn't realized, until today, how truly short you gnomes are. I knew that gnomes were small, but not this tiny. How tall are gnomes, anyway?


Mama gnome sits up straight on her mushroom stool at this point and fluffs up her hat.


EM: Maybe that’s because I’m too much of a hulk. At six foot three you bump your head a lot, you know.
It seems like every third visit to the grocery store I get someone asking me to help them get something down from the highest shelf.
Everyone thinks being tall is better; try getting into a small car sometime.
Anyway, I do tend to wander, don’t I?



MG
: No, not at all, Ed. Wander as much as you please.
And if you must know, I’m quite tall for a gnome my age which is a very young one hundred and ten.
And you are quite tall I must say for a human. My neck’s got a crook in it now.
But can you hand me my box of tea up there. No next shelf. Yes, that one. Thank you.

Now Ed, please tell us about yourself.



EM: Besides my height? Well, then there’s my weight.
I’ve lost 48 pounds over the last 13 months.
That’s my biggest personal accomplishment, besides regular flossing of my teeth.

Well, I guess if I were asked to write a short essay about who I am…which you just did…I would have to describe my personal and professional sides.

On the personal side, I’ve been married to Carrie for 23 years now.
We have 5 kids and 6 grandchildren, even though she doesn’t look old enough to be a grandma.

I was born in Massachusetts before cable TV, computers and satellites.

I was raised in Orange County, California, in the shadow of Disneyland, and lived for years in Bozeman, Montana.

Now I live in Palmdale.
My hobbies include:
collecting flags of the world,
writing,
computers,
watching baseball,
camping
and gardening (I just discovered growing pumpkins, thanks to Carrie, and how fun it is).

I love books, history and maps, too.

On the professional side, I’m the author of a couple of books, including

The Pearls of the Stone Man,” which is being made into a movie;

I’m also a high school teacher, a newspaper columnist and a computer nerd.

Maybe I’m just a regular nerd, too. You have to decide that…
I earned my Bachelor of Science degree from Montana State University, and went on to claim a Master’s degree from the University of California at Riverside.

I was working on a doctorate when I lost my first wife, with whom I had three children.

I tell you this because education is very important to me.

My life has been molded by the values taught me by my parents, my education, and my faith as what I call a “humble Christian.”
Oh, you dropped a piece of your cookie…yes, right there, on your tunic. And I talk too much.

Did I already tell you that?


MG: Um, no I don't recall you telling me. But ahemm, thank you, for pointing out the cookie crumb. Mama gnome gets carried away with cookies sometimes.
And no I don’t think you talk too much.
I am amazed at all the life experiences and learning you've gone through and congratulations on the success of your books and the movie coming out.
Is there a part there for a sassy, attractive, eco-friendly motherly gnome per chance? Ahemm, okay fine.
Moving on, can you please tell us how you feel about the environment?



EM: Well, I’m all for it. After all, it’s where I get my air, water and food, not to mention my computer, my books and everything else in my life.

When I was at Montana State University I took a class entitled “Conservation Education” in which I realized that we’re all interconnected.

People, the land, air, water, plants, animals, everything.

As the air goes, so I go. The same is true for everything else.

I was struck by how many of our troubles are caused by our mismanagement of the Earth.
This is why I’ve become a meat minimalist.

The cost to the ecosystem to raise meat is startling. Literally an animal consumes something like ten pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat that we eat.

Besides, I visited some animal compounds and I struggle about how kind is it to kill another life form just for us to eat. Yes, I’m a softie. I admit it.

I don’t like to see anyone or anything suffer.


I know, you’re probably asking, why isn’t he a vegetarian? At my age a radical change is tough.

It took me a decade to train myself to floss my teeth regularly (that and some root canals).

I’m hoping I’ll get there.

I only eat a little bit of meat, usually once a week now. I do eat cheese and eggs, however.
Did I tell you that my Bachelor’s degree is in Earth Sciences?

That’s how much I was impressed by the environment.

As someone who suffers from allergies, the environment touches everything in my life.
By the way, feel free to interrupt me if I carry on too much. My wife does.

I usually see her eyes roll up and I know I’ve gone on too much. I’ll watch your eyes…



MG: Mama gnome’s eyes are transfixed Ed, especially when she heard you say you’ve limited how often you eat meat and your degree is in Earth Sciences. Those are tremendous accomplishments.
And in what other ways has the environment affected the way you live your life?



EM: Besides the meat thing, I’m really fascinated by solar power.

I have a few solar panels, solar calculators, and I want to take my house completely off of the grid someday.

I recycle now (a lot of that’s due to Carrie), and I’m slowly moving toward things like rechargeable batteries.

I think you can see my trend here – I am slowly making changes as I can, and hoping my children and grandchildren can continue the pattern.



MG
: What a wonderful example and legacy for your children and grandchildren. Mama gnome is also quite excited about
solar power.
But before she gets too excited, Ed, can you share with us some tips on how to be more eco-friendly?



EM
: I think the idea of taking baby steps is what works for people like me who aren’t used to changes.

Research what is environmentally the “best practice” and make movement in that direction, as you have to make choices and purchases.

I call this the “Incremental Approach”. Before long you’ll see huge changes, but the stress and anxiety won’t come with it.
We now use an organic farm (Abundant Harvest Organics) for some of our vegetables.

Another incremental change. When it’s time for us to get a new car, we expect we’ll buy a hybrid, or whatever is environmentally best that we can afford. Besides that, we hope to stretch our current vehicles so we’re not just consuming vehicles just because they’re fun and new.



I’m changing the values of my life. Are cars really all that important that I have to have a new one every other year? If mine is working fine, comfortable and does the job, do I really need to get a new car? See what I mean?
Can I get another cookie? These are really good! Do you have any with chocolate chips?


MG
: Of course, Ed. Help yourself. I have a batch of chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and a batch of my favorite, peanut butter.
Ah, excellent choice I must say.
Now, Ed as a teacher do you have the chance to teach your students to be more environmentally aware and how do you do that?



EM
: As I teach Earth Science, I stress how interconnected we are, as I explained.

That’s probably the core. I know you don’t want me going over all of that again. I’m sorry, but I do see that my wandering has you finding it tough to stay on task. I do that to people, you know.



MG: Oh no, no, Ed. I just... (Mama gnome coughs and spits out crumbs of peanut butter cookies.)
Excuse me. I think the mind is wonderful maze and we need to wander through all sorts of paths.
Speaking of maze, do you have a favorite book about the environment/nature? It could be fiction or non-fiction.



EM: It was “Silent Spring,” by Rachel Carson. I read that, I think, back in college and it truly changed me.

I also read some books by Bradford Angier about surviving in the wilderness and that changed how I saw the natural world – not as an enemy but as something we could live within.



MG: Do you have a favorite movie about the environment/nature?


EM: It may sound strange, but the Bruce Dern movie “Silent Running,” about a spaceship with a closed system in deep space, the last nature preserve known to humans, shook me up.

I started worrying about our direction as a species.



MG: The books and movie sound interesting and pique Mama gnome's interest. And I'm also interested in knowing what is your favorite animal and why? Is it endangered or threatened?



EM: Since I’m so huge (I know I told you that), I’ve always liked the polar bear.

I’m also fuzzy and have hands like their paws.

As their habitat has become more and more threatened due to global warming, I’ve become more and more concerned.

What will happen to them? The changes are happening so quickly that they will not be able to adapt, I’m afraid.

I’m not a biologist, but I worry their ice caps will be gone soon.



MG: Mama gnome now knows why she and Ed, though human, are kindred spirits.
‘Tis because polar bears are also her favorite animals!
Have another cookie, Ed and tell us, what is your favorite plant and why?



EM: I like pine trees a lot. When I lived in Montana (and I call myself a Montanan), I loved walking through those forests.

One of my fondest memories is swimming beneath a waterfall in the forest up there. It was south of Bozeman, on Hyalite Creek.

It seemed like Eden to me. I miss that place.

Also, being born in New England, where a pine tree has been a symbol of that area, it fits another part of my life.

And being tall, well, you get the picture.



MG: That sounds beautiful, Ed. Quite different from our Valley of the Antelopes where sadly antelopes can no longer be found.
And if you can be any animal or plant what would it be and why?



EM: Hmm. I’ve never been asked that before.

There’s something about birds flying that intrigues me. I once read that the majority of the animal species on Earth can fly, yet we cannot (at least naturally).

I’m afraid of heights, but I love seeing the Earth from above (did I tell you that I’m a map freak?). Maybe having a pair of wings would help me overcome my fear. As to what kind of bird, I’m not sure.

Going with my size thing, maybe I’d be a hawk or an eagle.
They seem so noble, and as my mother used to say, your honor is all you truly own in this life.
Am I on a tangent again? Your eyes are rolling…


MG: No, no Ed. Mama gnome’s eyes are rolling because she loves hawks and eagles as well. Sadly Ed, did you know the greatest eagle in the world is also the most endangered eagle?
And so Mama gnome gets discouraged sometimes because of all the problems plaguing planet Earth.
Any encouraging words for discouraged green gnomes and humans?



EM: I know how you feel, but haven’t given up yet.

Never forget that we have our minds and our technology, as well as our ability to change.

We’ve faced crisis after crisis in the past and overcome.

We can do this. I am a firm believer in incremental change.

If all of us commit to doing that, we will see a massive difference in our lifetimes.
If I can change, the species as a whole can do it.

I believe I’ve changed radically over the last 25 years, and that gives me hope.

You should really see me deep inside and how really frightened of change I am. Yet, I’m doing it.

One step at a time.


As someone who has had a few books published, I’ve learned the value of persevering and never giving up.

I never realized that would be the gift of the process of getting published – the strength to keep going and believing.


Never give up – for it is at that moment that we truly lose.

As I tell everyone…
“Nothing great was ever accomplished without passion.” (E. Mooney)

If this is your passion, make it your life and see it come true! Believe!


By the way, can I get a few of those cookies to take with me? They’re low in calories, right?

Did I tell you I’ve lost 48 pounds?



MG: Um, no I don't think you've mentioned it the last two seconds, Ed.
Seriously though congratulations and you deserve all the success for all the hard work, talent and heart you've put into your writing and life.
And yes, these cookies are delicious and magical for you will not gain an ounce. I’ve wrapped a special box for you and Carrie. The wrapper is made from recycled 100% post consumer waste. No, it's not doo-doo, silly. It's good paper, green paper. You're such a joker.
Thanks so much for visiting my little garden, Ed. Watch your head now. I know a gnome house is a bit on the short side.



Though I have to admit I think Ed's the tallest creature to visit my home.


Look I can still see him, towering over my garden wall like a walking pine tree.


"Bye, Ed!" Mama gnome mouths, 'email me, soon.'


My dear readers, I hope you’ve enjoyed learning about our Person of the Day:

the tall and svelte Edward Mooney Jr. who was so generous and kind to visit Mama gnome's little garden.


Now Mama gnome feels like flying like an eagle,

swimming in the Arctic Ocean like a polar bear and most of all,

sitting on her stoop while she eats cookies and reads Ed’s book,

which by the way was a Pulitzer Prize contender.

Go Green.

No comments: